St Anthony and the Lizard

see all

<untitled>L1000479- © John Batten Photography

In the early part of C17th Dennis Head was in the charge of Sir Richard Vyvyan, who was knighted for his services to the Crown in the Civil War. He came from Trelowarren, a nearby house once inhabited by the half-brother of William the Conqueror. The house has been in the hands of the family since 1426. The first mention of St Anthony Church seems to have been in 1120. The leisurely approach of these particular sailors as they drift past it has an Impressionistic feel and sums up the atmosphere of a windless summer afternoon here